Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Update: Buy Nothing Month Results

Before the end 
of
Buy Nothing month, 
my husband Dennis, 
joked that now we would be 
in
 "Buy Everything" month.
   
He does not like Buy Nothing month.
He does not feel abundant.
He does not like to be told that he cannot buy anything.
He goes along with it because it is important to me.
After all, it is a tradition.
If you have not read about Buy Nothing month, here is the link.  Buy Nothing Month

I started "Buy Everything" month at the I Can Do It Conference, so there was a hotel bill and other travel expenses.  I have been to Target 3 times, buying hair accessories, 2 wall decorations (one as a gift), gloves for working out, a Leslie Sansone walking video, M&M's (a gift), food storage containers, and cards for Valentine's Day.  I have also spent money on a conference called Habits of Happy People, a SARK blanket that has words about loving being the whole point, a visualization product, an online boot camp, See's candy (gift), a meditation program, a book club book and a heart rate monitor.  The month is not over yet so this is quite a few purchases beyond my usual.

If I saved any money during Buy Nothing month 
I have spent it this month!

If you analyze the purchases there is a definite pattern.  
I like to learn, give gifts and enjoy fitness-for the body and mind.
Some of the purchases I can put in the self care area which is very important to me.
Self care to continue my happiness journey by learning, growing and throwing in a few indulgences.
I am changing my fitness routine a little and quieting my mind on a regular basis.

It is not that I have overspent beyond my budget or that I am not living within my means. I was not spending because of boredom or habit and it was not mindless.   Buy Everything month shows me that it is so easy to just run to the store, or go online to buy and get a quick hit of happiness.  When it was Buy Nothing month I was home more, no unplanned stops.  I thought outside the box when something was needed.  I thought about want vs. need.

Did I spend more this month because my brain was celebrating the end of Buy Nothing month?  I am a frugal person and do not usually spend money on myself.  I do not regret the purchases but it has made me think.

What did I learn these last two months?

  • It is good to keep track of spending-but not every day.
  • I really don't need to look at the Target ad every Sunday.
  • Taking someone to Costco is better so I am not just wandering.
  • Costco is the $100 or much more store. (I love Costco!)
  • Eating out once a month is enough.
  • Library books are such a good deal.
  • Dennis does NOT like Buy Nothing month.
  • Dennis is a dedicated husband to do this every year.
  • Buy Nothing month appeals in theory to a lot of people.
  • Buy Nothing month is a good conversation topic.
  • Not going to stores reduces the amount I spend.  
  • I really don't need frozen yogurt, for my body and budget.
I might try Buy Nothing month another month this year.
Just me.
Then see what happens the next month.
Will it unleash my inner spendthrift?

Why do we buy what we buy?  

What is a need vs. want?  

No comments:

Post a Comment