Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Self-Pleasure

I love my work!  I am Happiness Whisperer, blogger, library page, Happiness teacher, wife, mom, homemaker, CEO of wellness and finances, retiree and have many more roles.  With those roles come duties, to-do lists and chores.  I have always been a busy person with a lot of projects and have-to-do's.
  
I kind of feel guilty if I slow down, rest or if I am not accomplishing something.
(Do you ever feel like this?)

But my word this year is enough, and the word busy is not in front of it. I want my life to be enough, not too much or too little.  I want my home, to-do lists, projects and roles to be the right size for my SELF (soul, spirit, being, person, me).

Clutter clearing and cleaning have been my priority to start 2014.  Slowly I am making progress.  No check list or even one drawer a day but ENOUGH.  

My new, next priority is pleasure.  Yes you read that right.  Self-pleasure.  Pleasure is a feeling of happy satisfaction, enjoyment, fun, joy and contentment.  So my definition of self-pleasure is for me to do fun things that bring me enjoyment, contentment and joy even if my work is not complete.  


It isn't the great big pleasures that count the most; 
it's making a great deal out of the little ones.
-Jean Webster

(Break for dancing to Ring My Bells by Enrique Iglesias)

So self-pleasures for me could include:  cutting out words from magazines for a vision board, patio pondering time, walking with Dennis, a dark chocolate almond, petting Sadie, dream with Kelly about her future, sourdough toast, help Lexy find balance as she makes her way in real life, email a friend, listening to music, use markers to pretty up a boring document, maybe take a nap (?) (napping is a little far fetched).  
I am excited to make time for pleasure.  

I do enough.
I have enough.
I am enough.

I promise to nurture my self-pleasure.  I will listen to my heart.  I will meditate for my quiet time.  Pleasure is my time to do what I need to do for my soul.  No guilt for not getting "it" all done.  The importance of playing, relaxation, and joy are not recognized in our fast paced lives. Many of us are in survival mode, doing what we think we should do or have to do.  

Is there a happy medium?
Not too much or too little work/pleasure ratio?
Are we capable of saying no?
No is a complete sentence.
It doesn't require explanation or justification.
You might even be disappointing someone.  

What does self-pleasure mean to you?


No comments:

Post a Comment