Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Lessons from Peter Pan

Our family attended a local presentation of the play, Peter Pan.  It was performed by YES Company.  YES Company is a group of students who come together each summer, to learn, grow, entertain and have fun.  It is a life changing program.  I was delighted and amazed by the dedication and talent that I witnessed.  The students didn't just learn their lines, hit the right notes and master dance steps.  The program includes guest speakers who taught them fencing, the historical perspective of the story of Peter Pan, smart choices regarding exercise, proper nutrition and the proper care and wearing of  theatrical costumes.  And that is just the beginning.  Imagination was used, teamwork with shared duties, strength of character and compassion for others.  The courage for the flying stunts is certainly not taken for granted. I could write this entire blog on the positive aspects of YES Company.  I have such love and admiration for the people who keep YES Company going.  Thank you.

The story of Peter Pan has been a family favorite, especially for my daughter Kelly, who has the nickname of Tinkerkell and lived in a fairy room for many years.  We have been known to say, "I do believe in fairies, I do."  And not in a sarcastic voice either....The play started with an orchestra playing haunting music and right away charm, danger, and humor pulled us into the story of Peter Pan. We were thrilled to visit Neverland again.

In real life there are definitely days I want to sing, "I Won't Grow Up" over and over, at the top of my lungs.  Some days it might be fun to dance to Ugh-A-Wug and pretend to be Tiger Lily instead of my standard work out, though Coach Eric has enough WUG to make any "play out" fun. Maybe the next time you are being interviewed and feeling short on confidence you could burst into the song, "I've Gotta Crow."  The lesson from Captain Hook and the crocodile was especially important to me.  The sound tick-tock...tick-tock... immediately translated to live now...live now.

The responsibilities of adulthood are many.  Peter Pan shows us that there is a happy medium between the innocence of childhood and the inevitable transition to adulthood.  We could all use a little Peter Pan or Tinkerbell attitude in our daily lives. Just don't get too carried away. On those days when we are wishing for Neverland, think about what you can change to make your life better.  And then do it.


Tick-tock.
Tick-tock.

Live now.
Live now.



No comments:

Post a Comment