Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Lessons from Death

In April I wrote a blog about death and dying.
Here is the link: Death and Dying blog from April
It was about dying well and having a conversation on what is important.

This blog is not about being sick or having a conversation about last wishes.  
Quite the opposite.
It is about how death is there waiting for each of us. 
It is about how we need to be thankful for each day we have.
Last week there were three deaths in my life.
I didn't know all of them personally, but each touched my life or those of my loved ones and friends.

One was murdered.
One died in the line of duty.
One was a suicide.

Their lives will be honored and we will not forget them.  Mothers are crying, fathers are grieving, family and friends are shocked and uncertain.  Lessons from death are important to learn while living life.  Every day we have a choice on how we will live, which in turn has a part in how we die. 

My lessons learned:

  • Life is short, make every moment count.
  • Savor those people you have in your life.
  • Other people matter.
  • Reach out, you might save a life.
  • Visit a friend in the hospital.
  • There is no right or wrong way to feel when someone dies.
  • Hugs are sometimes the only communication needed.
  • Don't give up.  Keep trying.
  • Offer help and figure out what you need to do.
  • Listen.
  • Love.

I will be attending a funeral this week.  I don't like funerals (not that anyone does) and generally do not attend them.  It isn't the way I "do" death.  But I will attend and honor someone who died in the line of duty.  I will support my loved ones who are grieving and sad.  His death has devastated so many.  He died too young.  But there is a bonding of his partners, co-workers, friends and family as they gather to remember and honor his memory.  He will live on in all of our hearts. 
RIP Officer Scott Hewell and thank you for your service, dedication and sacrifice.

Your decision today...
How will I live my day to day life?  
In a rut, same old thing
or
Jump up and keep moving.

These three deaths have changed me.
The world will never be the same.
Death makes you stop:
and think,
and honor,
and remember,
and slow down,
and finally to 
choose to live your best life.

Live out loud.
Find your place.
Do your thing.

RIP
Salvador
Scott
Ja'Nice


No comments:

Post a Comment