Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Gumption

gumption |ˈgəmpSHən| shrewd or spirited initiative and resourcefulness
What does gumption mean to you?Where do you get it?How do you keep it?
My husband, Dennis turns 60 today.  He is retired and loving his new life.  We don't have a honey do list, we have a GUMPTION list.  He tells me WORK is a four letter word that cannot be used in his presence.  Every now and then I mention a project and he says "sure, when I find the gumption."  I want to know where to buy some gumption.  
Yesterday I was going to Target for an 8 cubby shelving unit and asked him if he needed anything at Target.  He wanted cashews and in exchange I asked him to put the shelving unit together. He took the deal and I was glad we didn't have to wait for gumption to show up.  
Dennis does a lot of nice things for our family:

  •   Has smoothies ready when Kelly and I return from the gym
  •   Walks the dog and picks up the poop
  •   He is a master chef who keeps us fed and we really appreciate it a lot!
  •   He does laundry and dishes when needed.
  •   And many more....
Gumption is a state of mind at our house. 

I had a very busy, physically demanding day and I really just wanted to lay on my bed, beneath the fan but I found the gumption to walk to my desk and start writing.  I felt my imagination soaring.

Kelly had three weeks of clean laundry to put away.  She didn't want to do it but found the gumption and now feels resourceful and mom won't be nagging her this week.

Lexy came over the other day to clean her room that she recently moved out of and it was a mess.  You know the stuff left after you take what you need and actually use?  She used initiative, offered to do it, found the gumption and we did it together.  We were both winners.

You maybe call gumption by another name:
  • get-up-and-go
  • spunk
  • oomph
  • spirit
  • enterprise
But really all the words mean doing the thing that needs to be done.

When we find gumption we feel good about it.  

There are only 3 things that can make your dreams come true; 
your thoughts, your words, and your actions.  
-Mike Dooley

Find your gumption so your dreams will come true.

Happy Birthday 
Dennis!





No comments:

Post a Comment